MARCH TOWARDS THE 21ST CENTURY (1980 - 1995)
The purpose of the Guild has remained the same. It anchored itself steadfastly to the welfare of the needy children avoiding any kind of political or sectarian controversies that were swirling around all over the world during the cold war. But its focus shifted from regional to international, and to keep up the pace with the enormity of the needs of the children, it stretched its arms as far as it could. Consequently, the fund-raising activities required tremendous efforts on its part and a knowledge of the facts of life beyond its doorstep became imperative.
Vienna International Centre,
P.O. Box 400, A - 1400 Vienna, Austria
Tel: +431 2600 24276
President: Marina Radchenkova
Villa les Feuillantines, 13 Avenue de la Paix, 1211 Genève 10
Tel: +41 (0) 22 917 33 86
President: Christine Evequoz
Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 00153 Roma
Tel: + 39 06 57053628
President: Amanda Martin-Elbehri
1 Lady Musgrave Road,
JAMAICA, West Indies
President: Joan French
55 Lodi Estate
110003 New Delhi
Tel: +91 88 00 767 568
President: Mihiri Fernando
Av. Velazco Astete 2547, Dpto 201,
Lima 33, Peru
Tel: +511 255 4212
President: Rosario Del Pilar Guevara Zegarra
THE CALL OF THE UN TO REBUILD THE WORLD: A TINY GROUP'S RESPONSE
On April twelfth, 1948, there was great jubilation among the women of a small sewing group in Great Neck, N.Y. They had formed an association to help the needy children, mostly in war-torn Europe. A memorandum had just arrived from the United Nations permitting them to add "United Nations" to their title, thus recognizing the group as an affiliate of the most prestigious world body. The significance of the memorandum conferred honor and responsibility on them. They welcomed their new status with awe; they also considered it their reward and challenge. Immediately, they proceeded to place their house on a footing worthy of its name
- "The United Nations Women's Guild."
SELF-RELIANCE IN CHARITABLE WORK:
A NEW WAY
(1960 - 1980)
It was a new era for the United Nations Women's Guild.
For the first time, an itemized list of donations appeared in the 1962 newsletter. The five groups (Great Neck, Parkway Village, Manhattan, the Secretariat and Westchester) provided $1,242.00 to eleven charities. On that list was a contribution of $425 to buy equipment for the Handicapped Centre in Leopoldville in the Congo near to where the late Secretary-General, Dag Hammarskjold, had been killed in a plane crash. By comparison, 1980 accounts showed donations of more than $33,000 to seventy-seven different hospitals, child care centres, schools, orphanages and children's projects.